2/11/2002

The ordinary vs. extraordinary thing occurred to me Thursday night as I watched Jordi Rosen open for Hayden at the Theatre Outremont, a refurbished art deco gem filled to half capacity for this concert. The stage was bare except for a piano, a chair, a stand with a suitcase on it, and a lit candle. Jordi sat down and played her own compositions accompanied only by her accordian. Wow! I thought. Pretty brave to come out onto this bare stage and play your own stuff using only your voice and an instrument often associated with the tacky and the cheesy. Not knowing Jordi, I wondered: Am I seeing an act of bravery? An ordinary gal doing something extraordinary? Or was she born extraordinary? Did this beautiful and eccentric performance come easy to her? Many of you wrote to say that doing extraordinary things makes you extraordinary. I would have to disagree. I think it just makes you remarkable for that moment. One of you wrote to say that you wouldn't mind being extraordinary as you stood in the midst of people applauding your mediocre, half-assed efforts. Me? I'm a glutton for flattery...

No comments: