2/28/2002

Radiohead vs. Alanis Morrisette Last night as I was singin' with my music buddies, I introduced them to Radiohead's "Creep". Here's the first stanza with chorus: When you were here before, couldn't look you in the eye. You're just like an angel, your skin makes me cry. You float like a feather, in a beautiful world I wish I was special, you're so fucking special. But I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo. What the hell am I doing here? I don't belong here. With the release of Alanis Morrisette's third "adult" album, I just help but compare and contrast the sensibility in this song to her entire oeuvre, which seems to consist of going through a great deal of emotional pain and striving towards some kind of healing and self-acceptance. Catch the stories in the Globe and Mail or on the Candian newswires for more info about the contents of her new album. Alanis wants self-affirmation. She rails against the men that mistreat her, that make her feel unsexy, and then she moves towards some kind of closure where I'm OK and you're OK and she's OK and everything's just fine, fine, fine...And then she goes through the cycle *all over again*. What's *not* to relate to? But, as I was singing "But, I'm a creep, I'm a weirdo", I felt an honest connection to those words that I would never get from singing a song like "So Unsexy", which includes these lyrics: I can feel so unsexy for someone so beautiful So unloved for someone so fine I can feel so boring for someone so interesting So ignorant for someone of sound mind I'd like to think that acknowledging the creep in me and loving the weirdo in me is probably healthier than trying to find the goddess within and exalting her to high heaven, which is ocassionally smelly due to the activities down here, right here on earth, where I *do* belong.

No comments: